Monday 12 April 2010

Main Task Task 18

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop and challenge the forms and conventions in read media products.




Below are my front cover and a typical pop genre front cover. You can see the things that I have just highlighted in my explanation. Underlined is the title of my magazine and compared to the Top of the Pops they are very similar as they are both curved. As you can see my colours that I had used are similar. Top of the pops is the magazine that i based my magazine on as it was very successful. Although there are two people on the top of the pops magazine the typical convention is to only have one person on there. I have challenged the codes and conventions of a pop magazine by not putting loads of pictures underneath the cover lines on the front cover. This made my magazine much easier to read as I thought that there was too much on the front cover when i put the pictures on there. It also made my magazine look cluttered. On my contents page i have placed all of my contents on one side of the page and all of the images on the other side, this makes the product look more professional and like a music magazine rather that just images all over ther place. On my double page spread i have used the images in the middle of the page and put all of my writing going around it. This is very conventional for a music magazine, as there are many famous brands that do this technique while they are writing and producing double page spreads.














































2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?
Below is a you tube video of the social group pop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRqBg27KgAA
As you can see by this video most of the people there are girls. Also they are all looking quite young up to about the age of 15.





3. What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?




This is the website to IPC media.
Here you can see all of the different types of magazines.
http://www.ipcmedia.com/






4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
The audience for my magazine would be a girl from the ages of about 8-15. I have chosen this age as when you get to about 16 maybe even younger you tend to read pop magazines less and you tend to focus more on the fashion and celebrity magazines. Here is a typical fact file of someone who would buy a pop magazine.



Name: Francesca Hardman Age: 9
Hobbies: Dance, Reading, Writing.
Favourite movie: Hannah Montana Movie
Favourite singer: Miley Cyrus
Favourite colour: Purple











5. How did you attract address your audience?
I attracted the audiences address by making sure that my questionnaire was filled in correctly. I took on board what the answers where and I suited my front cover, contents page and my double page spread around it. I also conducted different methods of research. Below is a video clip of some people answering my questionnaire with there own opinions.

6. What have you learnt about technology from the process of constructing this product?
Whilst I have been on this course I have learnt a variety of things, to do with the media that I have used. I have used a digital camera (still), digital camera (movement), a computer, the internet, Photoshop and Quark Xpress .Whilst I was using Photoshop I wasn’t very confident with it but as the course went on I learnt more about how it works and I was able to progress within my work standard. However I did not have any previous experience with Quark like I did with Photoshop as I had used it last year. It was all very new to me. At the start of our production work we had a tutorial of it and this helped a lot with how I was able to complete the work. I have used:
- A computer: without this I would not have been able to create my product.
- Photoshop: I used this to create my front cover, without this i would not have been able to create my front cover on neither my preliminary nor my main task.
- Internet: I have used the internet to gather all of my research together in order so that i could write my double page spread.
- Quark: I have used Quark Xpress to produce and create my double page spread and my contents page.
- Still Camera: I have used a still camera to take all of my pictures to go on my front cover, contents page and my double page spread.
- Movement Camera: I have used a movement camera, to get videos of clients that would possibly buy my magazine.




Here is six pictures of the technology that i used to create my products. Without one of these it would have been impossible to have finished it to a professional standard.





7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the process from it to the final product?
Looking back at my preliminary task I feel like I have learnt more about the codes and conventions of magazines in general. This has made a difference as it shown me what I had done wrong if I was really in the business of producing a magazine. I have also learnt how to use the tools from Quark Xpress, and Photoshop a lot more than what I did whilst I was producing my main task, in comparison to when I was producing my preliminary task.

No comments:

Post a Comment